Monday, January 21, 2008

I am very happy to be here! - Prince Akeem, 1988

OK, so my favorite 80s comedy came through for me and I look like a prediction genius.

That oblong pigskin ball really went through the big H.

We are in the midst of the greatest playoff run in New York Football history. In fact, this could be the greatest playoff run in New York Sports history.

When has a NY team had to go on the road 3 games in a row in increasingly hostile conditions each week, capped off by the 3rd coldest game in NFL history at the great Lambeau Field against the once great Brett Farve, and won all 3 to advance to the biggest game in sports? THE SUPER BOWL!!! Say it with me. SUP-ER BOWL

I mean NOBODY picked this team to go to the Super Bowl. NOBODY. Not even the most loyal fans I know. Not me. Not you. Not even our good friend Larry who picked them to finish 11-5 this year predicted this one.

Let's put some of this in perspective when I mean nobody predicted this. I know a few friends, some of whom actually tailgate regularly with, who were seriously debating on whether or not they should go to the Giants-Patriots game on December 29th. I know a couple of first year tailgaters this year who sold their tickets to the game (lesson learned I hoped). I know yet others who are regular tailgaters who decided to vacation during this game (again, fellas, you wait for the schedule to come out, then book the trips). Lastly, I have a very-good-season-ticket-holding friend who had the opportunity to go to the Super Bowl weeks ago and turned it down. My point being, loyal fans, even the most die hard and crazy of us never dreamt this could happen in our wildest imaginations. This team won 6 homes games for us in the past TWO seasons. 3 this year and none since OCTOBER 21ST. Nate was still 1 then!!! We had seen Eli and Co. fail so many times at home it became almost expected. But they kept winning on the road and a swagger was formed. And then came Buffalo and a defensive effort that has carried us on through to the Super Bowl showed its face. Then the above mentioned Pats game, the loudest regular season home Giants game I ever remember attending. We let it slip through our hands after being up 28-16 in the 3rd. Eli threw that 1 INT and the game was over. Brady and Co. were still too confident but the Giants swagger reached new heights during that game that we have used to go on this great run.

TC and Spags and Reese and most importantly, the players believed in themselves and have seemed to gain confidence with each play, each series, each quarter and most certainly each win, in the playoffs. While Tynes took a few weeks off all of our lifespans at the end of regulation, he brought us the ultimate joy in OT.

Really can't say enough about this team. From top to bottom, they have over-delivered in every way imaginable.

Of course, the big win got me thinking of another late 80s comedy classic. Although a different sport, the great Major League (1989) contains one of the great underdog stories in sports movie history. As we face off once again against the hated and undefeated New England Patriots, I find this one to be quite appropriate:

Lou Brown: Can I have your attention, please?
Lou Brown: I have something I think you all ought to know about. It seems that Mrs. Phelps doesn't think too highly of our worth. She put this team together because she thought we'd be bad enough to finish dead last, knocking attendance down to the point where she could move the team to Miami... and get rid of all of us for better personnel.
Roger Dorn: Even me?
Lou Brown: Even you, Dorn.
Eddie Harris: What if we DON'T finish last?
Lou Brown: She'll REPLACE you with somebody who WILL. After this season, you'll be sent back to the minors or given your outright release.
Jake Taylor: [Jake stands up] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.
Roger Dorn: What's that?
Jake Taylor: Win the whole fucking thing.

That's right my friends...we're here, against all odds...NOW LETS WIN THE WHOLE FUCKIN THING!!

LETS GO GIANTS!!!!

1 comment:

Larry said...

The Giants set a single-season NFL record with 10 road victories. Yet, they were dismal at Giants Stadium, going 3-5. Among the 84 Super Bowl teams including this season, only the Giants made it with a losing home record.