Thursday, January 17, 2008

Prince Akeem predicted this one 20 years ago

Prince Akeem: Sir, did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?
Cleo McDowell: No, I didn't.
Prince Akeem: Oh, it was most exhilarating. The Giants of New York took on the Packers of Green Bay. And in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big "H". A most gripping victory!
Cleo McDowell: Son.
Prince Akeem: Yes?
Cleo McDowell: If you want to keep working here, stay off the drugs.
Prince Akeem: Yes.

When I spoke with Fink this morning, he brought up something Larry and I talked about throughout the season. That something is the kicking game of one Lawrence Tynes and how he has not really had to make a big kick all year. Then Fink and I discussed how this game would likely be a low scoring one where we may need said leg.

Instantly my mind flashed to my favorite comedy of the late 80s.

I've been quoting lines from this movie for as long as I can remember and this exchange has always been one of the best.

Now it takes on a whole new meaning.

3 days until the game and it's all I can think about.

The NFC Championship game....who would've ever guessed it?!?!

I can honestly say that this has been the most enjoyable run I can remember in recent times for any of the teams I root for. Being the underdog is just so much fun.

All hail Prince Akeem!

2 comments:

byarkon said...

Akeem: Take me to Queens at once!
Cabbie: Which part?
Akeem: The most shitty part
Cabbie: This shitty enough for you

Clarence: Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't shit.

304 11 8 said...

He kicked Joe Louis's ass