Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 2008 - The perfect sports month

Let's look at the top of this blog.

Read the headline with me:

My good friend Jeff Cooper and I, Jason Fink, are huge Mets fans and decided to create a blog regarding the state of the Mets, MLB, the NY Giants, as well as other sports related events that go on. With the NFL season around the corner you may start to see some other posts on the pathetic state of our beloved NY “Football” Giants. What can I say, we are gluttons for punishment.

That was written on August 13th of last year.

Today is January 29th 2008.

Wow how much has changed since then. I think somewhere between then and now was the worst collapse in baseball history but today that seems like a distant memory.

Today was media day at the Super Bowl(!!!!) and for those who didn't get a chance to log onto the nfl.com, it was freakin great. At 2 pm the Giants took the field. At NFL.com they had 6 live cameras you could click on to view a different interview. First it was TC looking his normal serious self saying his normal serious lines. Click over to Easy sporting his new QB scruff looking calm, as usual, and giving the media everything they could ask for and more. Then I click over to the coolest man in NY, Plax, who looks just about as bad ass and confident as any human being can look getting ready for the big game. Click to Strahan essentially doing stand-up comedy. Click to Pierce looking ready as ever with his shades on at all times. It went on and on. Media Day! The Giants are in the Super Bowl! Is this real? It's all still mind boggling.

Such a fun hour watching them.

I go back to work and eventually to a 4 pm sales meeting. I come back to my desk about 40 minutes later to 6 text messages on my phone, countless IMs, 4 emails and 3 voicemails. This all could only mean one thing. I click on Fink's IM first. CAPITAL LETTERS ARE THE WORDS "COOPER" AND "JEFFREY" over and over. Links are sent to 3 different sites by 4 different people. Yes folks, it has happened. The Mets and the Twins have struck a deal and the best pitcher on the planet is now a New York Met.

WELCOME TO NEW YORK JOHAN SANTANA!

Honestly, I don't fully understand how Omar pulled this one off. I really don't. How did he get Johan without giving up a single premium prospect in return?

Lets say the Twins were to have kept him and lost him in free agency to the Mets. Thy would've received 2 first round draft picks as compensation in return for the signing. Is this deal really better than 2 1st rounders?

I mean for my entire life I have heard about Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi. In recent years it has been Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.

Today, I think Omar has single handedly tried to make up for both of those trades by stealing the best pitcher of the 21st century.

What a month!

3 playoff wins!

A Super Bowl appearance!

And now Johan!

Now let's kick February off with the biggest win of them all!!

I will be back with some Super Bowl XLII thoughts later in the week

I.O.W.T.

No comments: